Makes: 6 bowls Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 40 min
4 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp Flour
2 c. Milk
4 cloves Garlic
4 c. Chicken Broth
4 lbs Asparagus
Salt, pepper to taste
- Cut up the onions, mince the garlic, and sauté for about 10 min. Add salt and pepper.
- Cut up the asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, make a roux by melting the butter. Once it's melted add the flour and whisk til completely mixed together. Then add the milk and stir fairly constantly until it thickens, about 10-15 min.
- Add the chicken broth to the onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus to the broth and reduce heat to simmer, about 15 min or until the asparagus has cooked.
- Remove about a quarter of the asparagus pieces using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Using a hand blender or a food processor, puree the asparagus/broth mixture. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the milk mixture to the asparagus puree and mix thoroughly.
- Put the asparagus pieces back in the soup and serve!